Created Wednesday, Jun 9th 2021 13:20Z, last updated Wednesday, Jun 9th 2021 13:20Z
A Delta Airlines McDonnell Douglas MD-88, registration N918DE performing flight DL-2133 from Atlanta,GA to Charlotte,NC (USA), was enroute navigating through a frontal system with thunderstorms when the aircraft encountered turbulence. The crew continued to destination for a safe landing about 80 minutes after departure.

The FAA reported two flight attendants were transported to a local hospital with unknown injuries.

The occurrence aircraft remained on the ground in Charlotte for about 5 hours before departing for the return flight reaching Atlanta with a delay of 5 hours.

On Mar 22nd 2020 the NTSB reported they have opened an investigation into the occurrence rated an accident.

On Jun 9th 2021 the NTSB released their final report concluding the probable cause of the accident was:

An inadvertent encounter with convective turbulence.

The NTSB analysed:

The captain was the pilot monitoring and first officer was the pilot flying. According to the flight crew, there were thunderstorms along the entire route that required them to deviate around multiple cells. The seat belt sign was on the entire flight and the weather radar was on. As the flight approached KCLT, the captain called the lead flight attendant (FA) and requested that the FAs complete their final walkthrough and be seated for the remainder of the flight, since he expected it to be bumpy during the arrival. As they were deviating around convective weather, the flight entered a cloud and encountered severe turbulence with heavy rain. The autopilot disconnected and the airplane dropped abruptly to the left. The first officer maintained positive manual control throughout the event and the crew estimated the turbulence lasted about 10 seconds. The captain immediately contacted the cabin and was informed that two FAs were injured.

After receiving the captain’s call to prepare for landing early, the three FAs immediately began their final walkthroughs. Two FAs were in the aisle when the turbulence occurred. Both FAs were thrown into the air and then onto the floor. One FA had injured her back and was helped into a passenger seat for the remainder of the flight. The other FA injured her knees but was able to continue her duties for the remainder of the flight. The captain declared a medical emergency and requested that emergency personnel meet the airplane at the gate. Upon arrival, both FAs were transported to the hospital where one was diagnosed with a fractured vertebrae.

Track Related Flights on Airportia: DL2133, Twitter: #DL2133